I am so excited about sharing these deliciously moist and healthy muffins with you. I found myself with an overflowing refrigerator of strawberries (they were on sale) that needed to be used up before they began to go bad. Since it had been a while since I made muffins and I was more than ready for a change in breakfast options this was a perfect way to put the strawberries to good use.
These muffins can be easily substituted using other fruits that are in season. Just like the Bran Muffins that I make I prefer to heat them for about 15 seconds in the microwave before eating them. The muffins can be made with or without the Brown Sugar Glaze topping.
Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
– 1 1/2 cup of strawberries, chopped
– 2 cups whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
– 1 egg
– 1/4 cup canola oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1/4 cup milk
– Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl.
– In a separate bowl combine cottage cheese, egg, oil, vanilla, and milk. Mix the wet ingredients in with the flour mixture then fold in the chopped strawberries.
– Add dough to a greased muffin pan and bake on 375 for 25 minutes.
– If you choose to add the Brown Sugar Glaze drizzle about 1 teaspoon over top of each muffin after it has baked and cooled (about 20 minutes).
Brown Sugar Lemon Glaze
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 2 teaspoon lemon juice
– Mix and drizzle over top of the muffins.