With Fall just around the corner I am trying to take advantage of summer’s freshest produce while I still can. And nothing says fresh like a Caprese Salad with fresh basil and juicy tomatoes. I put the three main ingredients of this famous salad inside of a chicken breast, dipped it in breadcrumbs and baked it until the cheese started to melt out and the chicken was tender. A fresh and flavorful way to celebrate the ending of a wonderful summer.
You can easily add more chicken and the ingredients to this recipe but I based my measurements using only two breast.
– 2 chicken breast
– 1/4 cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs
– 1 Egg white
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
– 1 medium tomato, sliced
– 1/2 cup light shredded mozzarella cheese
– salt and pepper
– drizzle of olive oil
– Open up the chicken breast by slicing it down the side. This will form a pocket for the stuffing.
Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken.
– Add 2 to 3 slices of tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the cheese and half of the fresh basil to each breast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
– Fold the chicken breast over, keeping the salad inside of the chicken. Seal with several toothpicks.
– In two separate bowls add the egg white and the breadcrumbs. Dip the chicken into the egg white then the breadcrumbs and cover completely. Place the chicken inside of a baking dish. (If there are breadcrumbs remaining sprinkle them over the chicken).
– Drizzle each breast with olive oil.
Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.