There is nothing more comforting than a big pot of soup simmering away for hours on a cold winter fall day. This low calorie tomato based soup is filled with good for you vegetables and protein all in one pot. It doesn’t get more perfect than that.
This recipe was Jason’s grandmother’s that Phyllis had tucked away with her other recipe cards. I knew it was a success when Jason said it tasted just like he remembered from his childhood. There are many variations with vegetable soup so feel free to add other vegetables you have on hand or that are in season.
Mimi’s Vegetable Soup
– 1-lb lean ground beef
– Onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
– 4 Cups Vegetable broth
– 1- 28oz Can petite diced tomatoes
– 1- 15oz Can corn
– 1- 14.5 oz Can green beans
– 1- 14.5oz Can carrots
– 1- 16oz. Can butter beans
– 1- 15oz can peas
– Salt and Pepper to taste
– Add the chopped onion and ground beef to a skillet and cook till meat is browned.
– To a large pot add the cooked beef, vegetable broth, and tomatoes.
Drain each of the following and add into the pot: corn, green beans, carrots, butter beans, and peas
– Sprinkle with salt and pepper and simmer on a low setting for 2 hours
**If you choose you can add the ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.