Fact: I love pasta. If you follow my blog then you probably already know this by now. I have no shame in admitting to eating plain noodles topped with butter and Parmesan cheese and calling it dinner. Pasta tends to get a bad rap because its full of all the good stuff like carbohydrates with creamy sauces and lots of butter. Of course not all pasta dishes are this way and here is a perfect example of a rich and creamy sauce without all the fat. Comforting, healthy and easy enough for a simple weeknight dinner this dish will have the whole family coming back for more.
Creamy Tomato Penne with Shrimp
(Makes 6-8 servings)
– 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp
– 1 box whole wheat penne pasta
– 1- 45 oz. jar of your favorite marinara sauce (I used Old World Ragu)
– 2- 6oz. containers nonfat Greek yogurt
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan + more for topping
– 1 tablespoon basil
– Sprinkle of crushed red pepper
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain noodles.
– While the penne is cooking season the shrimp with salt and pepper and saute in a large skillet.
– Meanwhile heat marinara sauce and crushed red pepper in a saucepan. Cook sauce stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
– In a medium size bowl add the Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce and mix well. Pour the yogurt mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the marinara sauce.
– In a large bowl, pour sauce over the drained penne. Add basil, Parmesan cheese and shrimp. Mix well.
– Optional: Sprinkle with additional cheese