Being raised by a mother who opened a tea room, Jason has had his fair share of quiches growing up. Often times if he has the opportunity to order quiche from a menu he will do so. Certain foods can hold special memories for people and for Jason this is certainly one that takes him back to his days at the tea room and of his mom. This is a wonderful meal you can have for breakfast, lunch or even dinner served along side a simple green salad. Not to mention it’s both satisfying and delicious.
Most quiches are cooked inside of a pie crust but I wanted to avoid the additional fat and calories, making this a crustless quiche. You can easily add and change ingredients using vegetables that are in season or things you already have on hand. I thought the feta went perfectly with the other ingredients in this dish but Goat cheese or Gouda would make a nice substitute as well.
Crustless Spinach Quiche
– 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
– 1- 10oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.
– 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites
– 1- 15oz. container part-skim ricotta cheese
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
– 1 bunch of scallions, chopped
– 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– In a large bowl mix together the crumbled feta, spinach, whole eggs and egg whites, ricotta, flour, and nutmeg until well combined. Add scallions into the mix.
– Pour mixture into a cast iron skillet or 9 inch round greased baking dish. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and paprika.
– Bake in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.