I was excited when I came across this healthy and nutritious recipe on Pinterest because I am always looking for quick and easy snack ideas. Ever Since I made these energy bites a few months ago I knew I needed to keep healthy grab and go snacks around the house more often because they were such a hit. These bars are rich in protein and fiber making them an easy breakfast option or a perfect snack. Not only are they simple and easy to make but you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand. I substituted several of the ingredients based on what we already had and the sweet dates and honey with the crunchy and salty nuts made for the perfect combination.
Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
(Yields: 12 Bars)
(Recipe adapted from 86 Lemons)
– 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
– 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
– 2 tablespoons chia seeds
– 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
– 1/4 cup sesame seeds
– 1/2 cup slivered almonds
– 1/2 cup coconut
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1 cup creamy peanut butter
– 1/2 cup chopped dried dates
– Line an 7″ x 11″ baking dish (or similar size) with parchment paper.
– In a large bowl mix together the oats, flax, seeds, nuts, coconut and dried fruit.
– Add the honey and mix until well coated
– Add the peanut butter and mix well.
– Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press until the mixture has been evenly distributed. Put prepared baking dish in the freezer for an hour or so to allow the mixture to become firm.
– Using the parchment paper as handles, lift up the hardened mixture and cut into 12 equal sized bars.
– Place the bars in a container using the parchment paper as dividers between each bar. Store in the freezer for the bars to keep their firmness.
– Remove bars individually as needed for a quick breakfast on the go or a healthy snack.