By looking through my recipes you can tell that I clearly have a thing for muffins. By making substitutions to some of the more traditional recipes I am able to “indulge” in what otherwise would be a high fat and calorie treat. For these Chocolate- Chocolate Chip Muffins I chose to use unsweetened applesauce in place of butter or oil and kept it 100% whole wheat.
These muffins are chocolaty but not too sweet making them a great breakfast option or the perfect anytime treat. Hot out of the oven, you can enjoy the taste of melted chocolate from both the inside and outside of the muffin. With Spring just around the corner many of us are starting to focus on healthier eating so this is the perfect way for keeping your taste buds and your thighs happy.
Imagine your kids excitement of they came home from school with these waiting for them as an afternoon snack. Mom can feel good about giving them a healthy treat while the kids are happy because, well, it’s chocolate. Looks like a win win to me.
Chocolate- Chocolate Chip Muffins
(Recipe yields 12 muffins)
– 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup warm water
– 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
– In a large bowl add in the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mis together.
– In a separate bowl mix together the water, applesauce, vanilla, and egg.
– Add the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix until dough is formed. Fold in 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
– Pour batter into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
– Bake on 400 degrees for 15 minutes.