I always have a box of veggie burgers in our freezer to add on top of a salad or a bun for a quick lunch idea or for nights when Jason is traveling. However, after making these quinoa and black bean burgers I may forever be ruined and never buy store-bought again. These hearty and filling burgers are simple to make, incredibly nutritious and packed full of protein. The cumin adds such a nice touch to the burgers giving them a bit of an Indian spice flavor. Even my meat loving husband loved them and thought they were a nice change from ordinary meat patties.
I found this recipe for a Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard sauce on the internet and felt that it would make a nice topping. Since it’s just not possible to eat a burger without a topping, this was a nice addition. It is super simple to make with only three ingredients and it added a sweet flavor to compliment the cumin in the burger.
You can easily cook up an extra batch of these veggie burgers and wrap them up to store in the freezer for a quick and healthy lunch or dinner. Simply microwave to reheat.
Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burger
(Recipe yields 4 burgers)
– 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
– Shredded carrots (using one whole carrot or 8-10 small ones)
– 1/4 cup chopped red onion
– 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 large egg
– 1/4 cup rolled oats
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– Boil 3/4 cups of water and cook the quinoa over medium high heat and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes, until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked
– In a food processor, pulse the carrots until finely chopped. Add in the cooked quinoa, red onion, black beans, egg, oats, garlic and cumin. Pulse until well combined. Form the mixture into four even patties.
– Stick the patties in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow them to harden a bit or in the refrigerator for several hours. This will make the patties easier to work with while cooking them.
– In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the burgers till golden brown (6-8 minutes per side).
Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard Sauce (optional)
(adapted from Eating Richly)
– 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
– 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
– 1 tablespoon honey
Stir ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve on top of the burgers.