This recipe comes from my mom who has been making this for my family for years. She got it out of an old Junior League cookbook but has since made some adjustments from the original recipe to create a creamier dish. When Jason and I arrived home from the hospital last week she made this for us, knowing it is one of my favorite meals that she makes. It’s creamy and delicious and perfect after eating hospital food for almost a week.
Although we eat this dish year around it is perfect for those cold nights when you are looking for something warm and comforting to make. The recipe makes plenty for a large group or to have for another meal during the week. I was more than happy to have this around knowing that I wouldn’t be doing much cooking as we adjusted to life with a newborn.
– 1, 5 to 6 pound whole chicken
– 1 small box whole wheat angel hair noodles (13 oz.) (Don’t break up the noodles)
– 2 cups chicken broth (use the broth after boiling the chicken)
– 1 tablespoon celery salt
– 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
– 1/2 cup chopped pimento
– 3- 10 3/4 oz. cans reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1 (13.25 oz.) can mushrooms
– Boil chicken in a large pot of boiling water till tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove chicken from water (save the broth) and take away the meat from the bones. Cut into bite sized pieces.
– Cook the noodles according to the box directions. Drain. Add all of the ingredients in with the noodles, mixing well, then pour into a buttered casserole dish.
– Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.