I will admit I don’t care much for making breakfast so during the week I usually grab something that takes little to no time at all to put together like toast or yogurt. At least one morning on the weekends Jason will take over in the kitchen and prepare us a big breakfast that usually consist of eggs/omelets, grits, toast and/or fruit. This is one meal where I gladly sit back and relax while someone else does the cooking. This past weekend I decided I would take over breakfast duty while Jason got some extra snuggle time with Scottie. Since I had control in the kitchen I incorporated my favorite type of egg on top of this open faced sandwich. Verdict: A fresh and flavorful incredibly delicious breakfast. It was so simple to make and after eating this it certainly made me question why I don’t spend five extra minutes during the week to prepare a healthy and filling breakfast, such as this.
This is a great sandwich to serve for breakfast, lunch or brunch any day of the week.
What you will need:
(Yields: 2 servings)
– 2 slices of bread or baguette of your choosing
– 1 to 2 ounces goat cheese
– 3-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
– 1 small tomato, sliced
– 2 eggs, poached (one for each slice of bread)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– In a toaster oven toast the bread slices
– Remove the toasted bread and spread the top with goat cheese. Add tomato slices and the chopped basil. Top each slice with a poached egg, breaking the yolk over the sandwich.
– Season with salt and black pepper.