These baked eggplant stacks are a twist on the classic eggplant parmesan. Crispy eggplant, peppery arugula, melted cheese and tangy tomato sauce. Basically, everything you could ask for combined into one simple dish.
It’s a simple colorful dinner, easy enough for a weeknight and impressive enough for dinner guest. Serve as a main course with a salad for a meatless low carb dinner or even as an appetizer at your next gathering. Simple to make, healthy and delicious. What more could you want?
Use this recipe as a guide since the amount is really going to depend on how many eggplant slices you want to make and the amount of people you are serving.
- 1 medium sized eggplant, cut into ½" to 1" slices
- 1 cup of marinara sauce
- Handful of Arugula(as much or as little as you want really)
- Sliced Mozzarella, enough for each eggplant slice, to desired thickness (I used Sorrento's reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- oil spray
- Preheat oven to 450
- Slice Eggplant. Season with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, Set aside
- Add breadcrumbs in one bowl and egg whites in another. Dip the sliced eggplant one at a time into the egg whites, then into the breadcrumbs.Remove eggplant from crumbs and place on a baking sheet. Spray eggplant with oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven. Turn over and spray the other side. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove sheet pan and top each eggplant slice with a spoonful of marinara sauce and a slice of cheese. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Once the eggplant is done and the cheese has melted remove the sheet pan.
- Serve by stacking two eggplant slices on top of each other with a few pieces of arugula sandwiched between.
- Optional: Top with additional arugula and heated marinara sauce.