I am a snacker. The hours between lunch and dinner seem so long and I usually find myself wanting a little something to hold me over until dinnertime. Usually this afternoon pick me up has me craving something sweet so I will try keeping it healthy by spreading peanut butter over top crackers, an apple or banana. This will normally do the trick but I also like switching it up every now and then to keep things interesting.
Enter these chocolate peanut butter protein bars. They are the perfect things to have on hand for when these cravings occur. They are simple to put together, no baking required, and stored in the fridge for a quick and easy healthy snack.
After mixing the dough, simply press it into the pan and pop into the freezer while you melt the chocolate. Once the melted chocolate has been drizzled over top and had time to set you are left with a protein packed, soft and chewy fudge like bar.
If you are like me and find yourself looking for a morning or afternoon healthy treat this decadent bar is the way to go. Not only is it delicious but it is packed with good for you ingredients that will cure your craving and leave you satisfied.
- 1½ cups oat flour (blend regular oats in a food processor)
- ½ cup chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup Rice Chex cereal
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup honey
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate chips( I used Enjoy Life)
- 1 Tablespoon almond milk
- ½ Tablespoon coconut oil
- Line an 11" x 7" pan with parchment paper. Mix the oat flour, protein powder, rice chex, chia seeds and salt in a large bowl.
- Add in the peanut butter ( or other nut/seed butter), honey and milk
- Stir well to combine
- Press mixture evenly into the pan until smooth. Pop into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in pot over low heat. Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove pan from freezer and drizzle chocolate over top. Freeze again until set. Slice the bars and store in the freezer in an air tight container. (These will stay god for several weeks).