Freshly baked buttermilk scones with melted chocolate scattered throughout.
I am working on updating photos of some of my favorite recipes that I feel need a bit of a face lift. I originally blogged about these scones in this post and wanted to showcase them again since Valentine’s Day, and all things chocolate, is just a few days away.
These scones are an ideal breakfast item with the chocolate chips providing just a hint of sweetness, without the guilt of having dessert for breakfast. They are best enjoyed straight out of the oven so you can savor each bite of melted chocolate.
Chocolate chip scones are perfect anytime of the year but with Valentine’s Day coming up on Friday these little treats will make the perfect healthy breakfast to share with loved ones.
- ¾ Buttermilk (plus a little exrta to brush over top)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Mix together the milk, sugar, vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the chilled butter cutting into pieces.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Add in the milk mixture until moist.
- Add dough to a floured surface a knead several times using floured hands.
- Form the dough into a circle about a ¾″ thick. Using a knife cut into 8 wedges all the way through the dough.
- Brush with extra buttermilk and sprinkle a bit of sugar over top.
- Bake 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- **Serve warm**