I was looking for something new to make with overripe bananas when my inspiration for this recipe came about. Instead of reverting to my usual banana bread or banana muffin recipe I decided to use them in the form of a donut. I couldn’t decide on what type of glaze to add until I was pouring a cup of coffee and my love affair with peanut butter and banana came to me. A banana bread like doughnut glazed with a sweet peanut butter frosting. Need I say more.
As a sucker for all types of donuts I should have purchased my donut pan a long time ago. I always had the notion that donuts were difficult to make when in reality they are quite simple. Not to mention the calories you save by baking instead of deep-frying.
These donuts are made healthy by using whole wheat flour and obtain most of their moist texture from mashed bananas instead of butter. I could have left the glaze off these donuts but then again I could have just made banana bread and called it a day. The peanut butter glaze took these doughnuts over the top. Since peanut butter and bananas are a classic pairing these donuts are basically little rounds of perfection.
I made these donuts for Scottie to celebrate her first birthday (using a little less glaze) and she loved them. These light and fluffy pastry rounds are the prefect treat the whole family can enjoy.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- Peanut Butter Glaze
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla, and coconut oil. Pour wet ingredients in with the dry and mix well.
- Spoon batter ¾ of the way full into a greased donut pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes. In the meantime prepare the glaze
- For the glaze: Mix ingredients till smooth and thin
- Once the donuts have been removed from the oven and cooled dip, spread or drizzle the glaze on top of the donuts.