I have updated this crock pot chicken and stuffing recipe from an old post as I have made some changes from the original recipe. This dish is the quintessential comfort food and it’s a big hit in our house. Instead of adding a store bought can of cream of mushroom soup I decided to make it a bit healthier by making my own. It requires an extra step in the preparation process but worth it in the end. From start to finish you can have your crock pot ready and working its magic in 10 minutes, which is nothing really when it comes to making a delicious dinner for your family.
The tender chicken combined with the other ingredients give you the flavors of Thanksgiving all in one dish. Even better, you don’t have all the work or the clean up with this holiday inspired dish. Sometimes we will eat this over brown rice or simply enjoy it just as it is.
- 1- 16oz. package frozen mixed vegetables such as broccoli, corn and red peppers or broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
- 3 large chicken breast (or 4 small)
- 1½ cups Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix
- ¼ cup water
- Homemade Cream of mushroom soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 10 ounces milk
- Start by making the cream of mushroom soup:
- Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt stirring to make a roux.(Sauce should begin to thicken. Takes about 3 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook about a minute, just to soften. Add in the milk and stir until the soup has thickened.
- To the crock pot add the frozen bag of vegetables, chicken breast and herb stuffing mix.
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup over top along with the ¼ cup of water. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5-6 hours or on a high-setting for 2½ to 3 hours.
- When finished add Salt and pepper taste
- Serve over brown rice or simply enjoy as it is.