The stomach bug made its way around our house this week so all last weekend and the beginning of this week consisted of lots of pj’s, movies, sleep and cuddles. Now that everyone is feeling better I am ready to get back into the Christmas cheer. Here we are less than a week before Christmas and as excited as I am I also realize I have so much still to do. This is our last Five on Friday before the big day and of course it’s full of holiday fun.
1. Since I was little stockings have always been a big deal in my family. My mom had stockings made for my brother and I when we were small and to this day they are still the stockings we use. However they are much larger than your typical stockings and every year my mom picks out just the right things to fill them up. Some are expected (like the ornament she gives us every year ) while other items are new and unexpected. Now that my brother and I are married with children of our own, my mom has stuck to her large stocking tradition and all of us have our own (very large )stocking. Jason and I have continued the tradition in our own home so the monogramed traditional stocking that hangs from our mantle (like the ones shown here) is not what we use on Christmas morning. I love putting together the stockings for Jason and Scottie (stealing some of my moms clever ideas over the years) and I love that we have carried on this special tradition. Below are the stockings Jason and I give to each other with the green one being your typical sized stocking, just to give you an idea.
2. There’s something about kids in Christmas pajamas that warms my heart. I had these picked out for Scottie back in the summer and all I could think of were warm cuddles and Christmas movies by the tree. On this particular night Scottie had other things on her mind but even still, Christmas jammies are the best.
3. This weekend I am making a batch of hot chocolate mix from Annie’s Eats to give to some friends. I am planning to store it in mason jars with directions attached for how to use it. I also made some gingerbread biscotti that I will be including on the side for dipping. I had a taste test yesterday and it was tasty.
4. I decided to get a little creative with my gift wrapping this year and add some greenery instead of bows to the gifts. I found the plaid paper at Marshalls and kept thinking twine and greenery would give it a different, somewhat rustic look, so I went with it. I am really pleased with the way it’s turned out so far (these are the only gifts I’ve done since they were the only ones wrapped). Yes, I have lots still to do.
5. Last night I met up with some of my girlfriends for a nice dinner out at Upstream. When we were deciding what to do together for the holidays we all agreed that since going out to dinner was a real treat these days that’s what we would do together. I don’t get to see these ladies nearly as often as I would like so I always look forward to nights like these.