This is my first five on Friday post for the new year. I don’t really make new years resolutions but instead look at the new year as a fresh start and think about the upcoming year and things I would like to see happen or change throughout the year. One thing I’ve been focusing on a lot since the new year is how I want this to be the year of learning for me. There are so many things I want more knowledge and information about and I am finding myself wanting to know all.the.things. For my five on Friday this week I am listing some of the things I want to learn in 2015. As always thank you April, Christina, Natasha, and Darci for hosting this link up.
1. Learn how to grow my blog- I would like to spend more time blogging this year and see if I can grow this little space of mine. I have met some really great people through this wonderful world of the internet and my hope is to connect with more readers and bloggers and participate in social media a little more (twitter I’m looking at you). On a good week I am able to get three post out and I would certainly like to see that number increase but I also know that realistically it can’t be that way every single week.
2. Learn more about Photography– This is kind of along the lines for blogging since so many of the pictures I take is of food but I would like to improve on my photography skills (or lack of ) this year. I only shoot in manual mode and hope for the best so I would like to learn more about aperture, ISO, lighting, etc. I actually bought all the material to make a homemade light box for those times when I simply don’t have the lighting I need but with the holidays and all the craziness I have not had a chance to make it. Once I do though I’m afraid I still won’t know what to do.
3. Spend more time reading- There are so many books out there I want to read from fiction to non fiction, biographies to cookbooks. I love to read and always have a book on hand. However sometimes those books take MUCH longer to get through than they probably should so I would like to prioritize my free time better and spend more time reading novels
(instead of blog post on my phone). Also in this category I am going to say I would like to watch more documentaries (and less of the bachelor).
4. Expand my knowledge of food– I want to cook new to me things and make dishes that are out of my comfort zone. I want to try new restaurants and order new items off the menu. I am guilty of going to the same place and ordering the same thing over and over. I have a binder full of recipes, not to mention my pinterest boards, of meals I want to try so it is my hope to try at least one new recipe a week. Basically, I want to eat and cook all. the. food.
5. Learn more about the body- It’s no secret that fitness is a big part of my life, with running and yoga being my favorite activities. I want to learn more about how certain fitness activities (such as yoga and weight training) affect the body. I know they are good for you but how and why? I want to learn more about different muscle groups and how and why certain foods affect our body. There are also several new workouts I want to try in the new year. I recently bought Gina Harney’s (The Fitnessista) new book HIIT IT, to learn more about high intensity interval training, and I look forward to trying some new workouts that come from the book.
I would love to hear any thoughts, tips, ideas or books suggestions to help me with my need for learning in 2015.