Start Smoking in the New Year
The New Year is heating up with smoke and spiciness. From boldly flavored smoked salts to actual smoking techniques, subtly smoked food is on-trend. The same can be said for spice as we savor heat from harissa, sriracha and smoked paprika. Show us the healthy dish you’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness.
Winter months have my body craving warm and comforting foods but I try fulfilling this need with healthy foods that don’t feel to heavy. Soup in the winter is like a giant hug to the belly and I usually try making some kind of soup almost weekly to eat on throughout the week. With these things in mind it didn’t take me long to realize exactly what I wanted to make for this months Recipe Redux challenge.
We always have a bottle of sriracha on hand since my husband is a big fan of all things spicy. I knew I wanted to kick up the heat by incorporating this spicy chili sauce into my recipe.
This Spicy Thai Coconut-Chicken Soup, also known as Tom Kha Gai, is traditional Thai cuisine. If you like spicy food then you will love this soup, as it certainly isn’t lacking in the heat department. It’s light, healthy and full of spice perfect for the winter months when we are trying to warm our bellies without packing on the pounds.
This soup is enough for 3 to 4 adults if serving as a main meal. If you want leftovers I would suggest doubling the recipe. If you already have cooked chicken on hand this dish can come together in no time at all. Top it off with a squeeze of fresh lime before serving.
- 1 lb. Chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cut into strips
- 1 - 13oz. can coconut milk
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 red pepper, cored and cut into strips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 -1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, with seeds if you like more heat or seeded for less, thinly sliced (I did without the seeds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup sriracha
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh lime to drizzle over top (optional)
- In a medium stock pot over high heat add oil, garlic,carrots and red pepper (cook 3-5 minutes). Pour in the chicken stock, fish sauce, ginger and lime juice. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add coconut milk, cooked chicken, sriracha and jalapeno and bring to a boil. Lower heat and continue to simmer (10-20 minutes)
- Season with salt and pepper
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with additional lime juice (optional)