I’m finally back today ready to share a recipe. I know there’s been a lot of birthday talk in my last few post but sometimes its fun to write about more personal things and not just food. Plus every time I sit down to write this post I find myself staring at the screen with no idea as to what to say. Don’t get me wrong. This wheat berry dish is wonderful and definitely worth talking about it’s just finding the words to make it into a post you want to read. A writer I am not and some days it comes much easier to me than others. The past few days simply haven’t been my days.
Instead of listening to me ramble lets move on to the good stuff. This creamy wheat berry dish with spinach and mushrooms is a delicious vegetarian dinner option. Wheat berries are the entire wheat kernel before it has undergone any processing. They provide a nutty flavor and are high in fiber making them a hearty and healthy addition to soups, stews and even salads. Here I chose to use them as a main course dinner with the addition of spinach and mushrooms but you can also add on crumbled sausage, bacon or even chicken for the meat lovers.
- 1 Cup uncooked Wheat Berries
- 2½ Cups water
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup shredded Gruyere
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ Cup diced onion
- 1 Clove garlic
- 8 oz. Sliced mushrooms
- 6 Cups spinach
- Optional: Top with additional Parmesan
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the wheat berries to the pan along with 2½ cup of water and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and the wheat berries are cooked. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded Gruyere cheese and the grated Parmesan.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the diced onion, garlic and mushrooms, cook 5-7 minutes. Add in the spinach, cook 2 minutes or until the spinach has began to wilt. Add spinach mixture to the wheat berry mixture. Top with additional Parmesan if desired.
- Serve immediately.