Last week I decided to get fancy and make a grown up grilled cheese for Jason and I for dinner. Despite the fact that we are reaching record high temperatures here in Charlotte I was craving comfort food and this spin on an old classic seemed perfect. I mean really, what could be better than good buttery bread with melted cheese and crispy bacon.
This sandwich is bursting with flavor with a combination of sweet, savory and a little bit of spice. Sweetness from the strawberries, salt and crunch from the bacon and a sweet and spicy habanero apricot jam all topped with creamy melted brie. So much goodness going on. I got this jar of Habanero Apricot jam on our recent trip to Ojai. It is so good used as a spread like I did here or served alongside cheese and crackers. If you can’t find this jam or something similar you can use regular apricot jam and leave out the spice. If interested, here’s the link to the jam I purchased in Ojai. Thoughts and opinions are my own and this is not a sponsored post. I know a good thing when I see it (or taste it) and this my friends is definitely worth sharing.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices good quality crusty bread
- 3-4 slices brie
- 6-8 strawberries, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 tablespoons Habanero apricot jam (or regular apricot jam)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Layer the apricot jam, brie, strawberries, and bacon over top two slices of bread. Spread the other two slices of bread with more apricot jam and add over top the other bread.
- Place each sandwich into the melted butter on the skillet.
- Cook the sandwich over medium heat till both sides are golden brown and the brie is melted.
- Slice in half; Serve immediately.