I grew up eating Hamburger Helper out of the box and quite honestly I looked forward to this meal on the almost weekly basis in which we would have it. I could not tell you the last time I had hamburger helper but last week I found myself with a serious craving for this childhood favorite. I decided to make a healthier homemade version in order to avoid all the unnecessary ingredients that come from the boxed kind.
When I mentioned to my husband I would be making a homemade version of hamburger helper for dinner he admitted he had never had it, homemade or from the box. After my moment of complete shock I warned him he may not feel the same nostalgia towards this meal that I would but I could guarantee he would love it. (I clearly had high hopes for how this meal would turn out).
Lucky for me I was right. This Hamburger Helper turned out better than I could have expected and it tasted even better than what I remember from my childhood. Plus I got to serve this to my family with a smile on my face knowing that this was a healthy meal using real ingredients. This is the perfect dinner to make as school starts back and we find ourselves getting back into the hustle and bustle of the school year and activities. It’s a one pot quick and easy dinner that comes together in 20 minutes, the same amount of time it would take if you were making it from a box.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- ½ Teaspoon sugar
- ¾ Teaspoon parsley
- 3 Cups skim milk
- 2 Cups hot water
- 1½ Cups 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 16oz. box Fusilli whole wheat pasta (or other small pasta noodles), uncooked
- Brown ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Drain and return to pan.
- Add in cornstarch, seasonings, hot water, milk and pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, place lid on top and simmer till pasta is done, stirring a few times. (This takes about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Allow the pasta to sit for 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken. Adjust seasonings if needed
- Serve immediately.