I can’t believe Thanksgiving is a little over a week away. I absolutely love this time of year and all the excitement that surrounds it. I’m having a hard time holding on to my rule of no Christmas related things ( e.g. music and movies) until after Thanksgiving, but in my defense Christmas movies have been on TV since the beginning of November. Thanksgiving is the kick off to the holiday season and a time to come together with friends and family and give thanks for all our blessings. The whole day is like one giant hug as I surround myself with family, watch the Thanksgiving Day parade, turn up the Christmas music, and enjoy the most amazing meal. This year we will be spending it in the mountains and between my mom and I we have come up with an epic menu and more than enough food for five adults and three kids. Lucky for us we will have plenty of leftovers to continue to enjoy throughout the weekend.
Speaking of Thanksgiving menus these Cheddar-Sage Drop Biscuits would make the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table, or really any table for that matter. These savory biscuits are super easy to make as you don’t have to roll out the dough or shape the biscuits. You simply spoon them out on a baking sheet, pop them in the oven and less than 15 minutes later you have light and airy biscuits full of flavor that reflect the season. If you’re looking for a quick no fuss side that will surely impress your guest I recommend giving these homemade biscuits a try.
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cups low fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the fours, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Using your fingers mix in the cubes of cold butter until mixture resembles course meal. Stir in the cheddar cheese and sage. Add Buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Drop round spoonfuls of dough (2-3 tablespoons) onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve warm.