Last Sunday after getting home from a rainy and chilly weekend in the mountains, and of course stopping by my favorite apple stand, I was craving something sweet, warm and comforting. That’s exactly how this Maple-Walnut Apple Crisp came about.With all the sweets that typically surround us this time of year it’s nice to find a recipe that allows us to indulge in a sweet treat in a much healthier way.
You guys..This crisp is so good. I tried holding off till after dinner to dive into this goodness but failed miserably as Jason and I stood over the stove each with a fork in hand going to town. This lightened up version isn’t as buttery as some crisp are and slightly less sweeter but it still taste unbelievably delicious. I love the natural sweetness brought out after the apples have baked in the oven and the crunchy walnut-oat topping that covers them.
This dessert takes no time at all to prepare and requires few ingredients that most likely you already have on hand. This apple crisp makes for the perfect cozy dessert not to mention the amazing aroma that will come from your kitchen as its baking in the oven. To take this goodness one step further I recommend adding a scoop of ice cream, or even yogurt, over top and enjoy each bite as warm cinnamon apples meet the cool and creamy ice cream. It’s like a match made in foodie heaven.
- 2 cups cored, peeled and sliced apples (2 large: I used Honeycrisp)
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts in a large bowl until well-combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Once finished, place topping in the fridge and begin making the apple filling.
- To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Take a heaping ¼ cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm.
- Optional: Serve with Vanilla ice cream or Greek Yogurt.