This is our first Recipe Redux challenge for 2016 and it was the perfect theme to for starting this year off.
January 2016 – Theme
Cashew Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Serves: 3-4 servings
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into ½" cubes
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 bunches broccoli , touch stems trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon peeled fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup toasted cashews
- Bring pot of water to a boil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Toss the chicken with the cornstarch and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook in batches until well browned on all sides but not cooked through. (5-6 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook until crisp and tender ( 2 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water
- Reduce heat to medium. In a saucepan add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger and pepper until slightly soft (2-3 minutes). Add the broccoli and stir fry 2 more minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce, toasted cashews, chicken and 2 tablespoons water to the skillet. Cook, tossing frequently until the chicken is cooked through and everything is coated with the sauce.
- Serve over brown rice (optional)