I love carrot cake and since Easter, when I was seeing tons of recipes floating around the internet with different carrot cake recipes, I’ve been craving it. Since I can’t have dairy right now, plus the fact that I’m trying to cut back on sweets, these Carrot cake muffins seemed like the perfect way to cure my craving. They’re deliciously spiced and lightly sweet and very much a winner in our house.
We’ve been on a huge muffin kick lately because they’re something I can prepare ahead of time and have ready to go in the mornings for breakfast or as grab-n-go snack. For these carrot cake muffins I left half of them out in a Tupperware container to enjoy within a day or two and I wrapped the rest in tin foil and stored them in a freezer safe bag in the freezer to pull out at a later time. When reheating the muffins from the freezer just remove it from the foil and microwave for 30- 40 seconds or until it’s warm.
These nutritious muffins are dairy-free and filled with whole grains, vegetables, healthy fats and very little added sugar. I have no shame when it comes to hiding vegetables in foods if it means my picky three-year old will eat them, which in this case she did. I like to spread these with a little bit of (vegan) cream cheese to make them more like carrot cake but butter works just as nice or you can simply leave them as they are.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- ½ cup Almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line muffin tins and set aside
- In a large bowl add egg, honey, and oil and whisk to combine
- Add in the applesauce, sugar, baking soda, salt nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix to combine. Add in the almond milk, grated carrots and raisins. Stir in the flours. Divide among muffin tins,
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.