If your looking for a last minute dessert idea to add to your Thanksgiving menu then look no further. This Pumpkin Bundt cake with Maple Pecan glaze will make a beautiful and tasty addition to your Thanksgiving table.
This months Recipe Redux post will have your taste buds soaring with healthy and delicious treats. Let’s take a look at what we have going on this month.
Trimming the Table
The holiday baking season is upon us. Time to pull out all the stops. Show us the healthy holiday dessert you will be sharing with family and friends this season.
It’s for sure there’s no shortage of sweets around the holiday’s. I don’t know what it is about this time of year but I love getting out my mixing bowls, cake pans and cookie cutters and immersing myself in flour and butter. The smell of sugar, spice and everything nice gives me all the cozy feels and one of the many things I love about the holidays.
Pumpkin is the ultimate fall ingredient and one many of us can get behind when it comes to the holidays. This bundt cake is spiced with pumpkin flavor and topped with a thick layer of rich and creamy maple pecan glaze that compliments the cake perfectly. I love using my bundt pan when it comes to baking cakes because it turns a simple cake into a beautiful display.
This cake is made with whole-wheat flour for a healthier twist. It’s dense and moist, slightly sweet and full of fall flavor. Dare I say it’s healthy enough for breakfast if your looking for a little something sweet alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
The maple pecan glaze is what dreams are made of. It’s rich and creamy and the perfect compliment to the pumpkin spice flavor. I may have to keep this glaze around for the holidays as a topping to cookies, breads or muffins for a special holiday treat. After you give it a try I believe you will do the same as well.
- 1¾ cups white whole-wheat flour or regular whole-wheat
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Maple Pecan Glaze
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the applesauce, olive oil, sugars and eggs and mix until combined. Reduce the speed and add in the flour mixture in three different intervals. Beat until just combined. Mix in the pumpkin puree. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- To prepare the glaze, combine all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake has cooled slightly pour the icing over the cake.