Good morning. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Jason had yesterday off so we were able to extend our weekend with an extra day since daddy was home. We spent our weekend celebrating our little man’s first birthday with family and friends and it was perfect. I’m planning to post a recap from the party because it was super cute but first I want to share this delicious and healthy taco recipe with you. Since it’s the 21st which means its time for our monthly Recipe Redux post we’re celebrating Taco Tuesday with healthy and creative taco recipes.
Seriously what better way to celebrate Tuesday than with tacos. Really if I’m being honest though, tacos can (and should) be enjoyed any day of the week. Today I’m sharing these fresh and colorful Bahn Mi Chicken tacos for a fun twist on the popular Vietnamese sandwich.
Pickled carrots, radishes and cucumbers add a sweet. tangy and crunchy topping. The sauce is a combination of garlic, coconut aminos or soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and sriracha to create the bahn mi inspired flavors. Feel free to finish the tacos off with additional sriracha if you like a bit more heat. Depending on dietary needs or your hearts desire use corn tortillas or big leafy greens as your taco shell.
Thanks to the crock pot these tacos come together in no time at all making them perfect for busy weeknights.This recipe uses plenty of chicken so it’s a great option when feeding a crowd or giving you plenty of leftovers to eat on throughout the week. I for one, love the idea of cooking once and eating multiple times especially when that means I get to eat tacos all week long.
- 2½ Ibs chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ cup coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- Pickled Veggies:
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ¾ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- large lettuce leaves such as Green Leaf or Bibb, AND/0R corn tortillas
- Additional sriracha (optional)
- For the pickled Veggies: In a bowl combine the carrots, cucumbers, radishes, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, Drain and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Combine the garlic, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), sugar, sesame oil and sriracha. Mix well. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is tender. Shred the meat using two forks.
- Build your tacos:
- Fill each lettuce cup or tortilla with shredded chicken. Top with the pickled veggies and additional sriracha if you like more heat.