Happy Monday. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. It was absolutely gorgeous here so we spent the majority of our time outside. Saturday night Jason offered to make me an early Valentine’s dinner at home, which for me is much more appealing than going out and spending money on an overpriced Prix fixe menu. He made short ribs that he served over parsnip puree along with roasted Brussels sprouts. It was just as good as it sounds. My contribution to our “at home” date night was this chocolate mousse, and it was the perfect ending to an incredible meal.
This chocolate mousse is made with four simple ingredients. It’s quite possibly the easiest dessert I’ve posted on the blog and if you’ve been reading for any length of time you know I’m all about quick and easy. There’s no cooking required and it literally comes together in minutes. It’s the perfect dessert to make for a dinner party since it can be made ahead of time, not to mention it looks pretty when served in a fancy glass.
This chocolate mouse is dairy-free and a much healthier alternative as far as desserts go. It’s made with coconut cream, which is the cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk after it has chilled. It’s thick, creamy and full of rich chocolaty flavor. In other words, this mousse is perfection.
Before adding in the cocoa powder, honey and vanilla reserve some of the whipped cream for the topping. Since chocolate on chocolate is always a good idea finish it off with a few dairy-free chocolate chips before serving.
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- reserved whipped coconut cream (optional)
- dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Place the coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight for the cream to harden and separate. Open the can and scoop out the hardened cream, placing it in a mixing bowl. (Save the remaining liquid for another use. )
- Using a hand mixer on low speed, slowly whip the coconut cream. Add in the cocoa, honey and vanilla and continue to mix until the ingredients are well combined.
- Divide among 2 small ramekins or glasses.
- Top each with the extra whipped coconut cream and chocolate chips (optional).