So apparently Winter finally decided to show up. Just when it’s time for Spring to start. I don’t know about you guys but I’m ready for the 70 degree days to come back for good. Much of what I eat depends on the weather and the cold temperatures have me craving foods that are warm and comforting. Like this Potato and Lentil Curry.
This meal is simple and nutritious. Lentils are an excellent source of nutrition as they’re rich in fiber, protein and iron. This dish is packed full of veggies while the curry spice packs a flavorful punch. As if all that wasn’t reason enough to head to your kitchen and start cooking I have one more thing to add. This is a one pot dish. Can I get all the praise hands for little clean up.
This is one of those meals that get better with time so I suggest making extras to eat on throughout the week for lunch and dinner. Serve over rice or alongside Naan bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups kale, destemmed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot add in the olive oil, onion, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring often, until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add in the garlic and potatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add in the curry powder and ginger. Give everything a stir.
- Add in the vegetable broth and bring the pot to a boil. Add the lentils and turn the heat back down to low. Simmer uncovered 25-30 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are soft.
- I prefer a thicker soup but if you like you can add an additional 1-2 cups of the vegetable broth.
- Before serving add in the Kale, allowing it to cook down for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over top rice or with Naan Bread.