Today I’m bringing back another old recipe that needed a little update. There are a few recipes from earlier in my blogging days that should not be overlooked due to my lack of photography skills and this is definitely one of them. This is a recipe that’s near and dear to my husbands heart. These poppy seed muffins with strawberry butter are a signature item from the tea room. They’re served upon arrival to munch on while looking over the menu. This is something Jason’s mom started when she opened Chantilly’s almost 25 years ago and it still stands true today.
I’ve made these muffins countless times from baby showers, wedding showers to family vacations. They would be perfect for Easter Brunch, Mother’s Day or any upcoming spring and summer gatherings with family and friends. This recipe yields A LOT of muffins so it’s definitely more than enough to feed a crowd. However, since they are bite-sized (and delicious) you may be surprised just how fast they will go.
These muffins are light and soft with speckles of poppy seeds found throughout. They’re a bit more indulgent, especially with the strawberry butter over top, but its this butter that makes them one of a kind.
The strawberry butter is sweet and creamy and with just three simple ingredients it comes together in no time at all. The leftovers for this buttery spread can be used to dress up an ordinary breakfast by adding it to toast, bagels, biscuits, waffles or even pancakes.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 cups sour cream (an entire 16oz.container)
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, sprinkled into the batter
- For the Strawberry Butter:
- 1 stick butter
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup of strawberry preserves
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the butter, sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract. mix well. Add in the flour and mix until a dough forms. Fold in the poppyseeds.
- Fill the greased mini muffin tins ¾ full using a small spoon. Cook on 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the strawberry butter by adding all the ingredients to a food processor. Pour into a serving dish and serve alongside the muffins. Store leftover butter in a sealed container in the refrigerator.