Lunch time is becoming a real struggle for me. Lately I’ve been trying to eat less bread which means my normal and much loved sandwiches are being replaced. This isn’t to say I’m giving up on bread for good but like most things moderation is key and I’m learning my body works better with less gluten.
The ease of making a sandwich and eating it on the go is mostly why I turn to them time and time again. For me lunch time is all about quick, easy and portable. This naturally gluten-free collard wrap fits the bill.
This collard green and Greek quinoa wrap is a powerhouse lunch to fuel you through your afternoon. It’s light, healthy and filling thanks to the protein from the quinoa and hummus. It’s a vegetarian friendly meal and can easily be made vegan by leaving off the cheese.
Not only do collard greens supply protein, fiber, calcium and iron, but the leafy green vegetables also provide an impressive amount of other key vitamins and minerals. The sturdy and hearty leaf holds up to the fillings, but even better it provides another dose of veggies to the wrap. The hummus makes it creamy while also binding all the ingredients together.
This is a great make ahead lunch to prep at the beginning of the week and eat on all week long. Keep the veggies in a separate container from the quinoa mixture and add them on as needed. If olives are your thing, feel free to chop a few up and add them into the mix as well.
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
- ½ cup plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 8 collard leaves
- Bring 1½ cups of water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Add hummus and next 7 ingredients (through cheese); toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the main stem from each collard leaf. wash each leaf with warm water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the leaves on a large cutting board. Arrange about ½ cup quinoa mixture down the center of each leaf. Top evenly with chopped cucumber, peppers and tomatoes. Fold in the edges and roll up. Secure with a toothpick.