Finally there’s a way to enjoy crispy “fried” food we all know and love in a much healthier way. Let me introduce you to the air fryer, if you aren’t already familiar.
When I posted a picture of these chicken tenders on Instagram I got a lot of questions about the air fryer. I received mine for Christmas from my parents and quite honestly, it sat in my car for a month because I was planning to return it. For one, I had never heard of an air fryer and two, I just didn’t think it was a kitchen tool I necessarily needed. While trying to find the time to return it I began to consistently see recipes and other mentions popping up and in the end there were several factors that led me to keep it.
1. You can cook crispy “faux-fried” foods without the excess fat and calories.
2. Although I haven’t yet tried this for myself the air fryer will also bake, steam, saute, grill and roast by pressing different settings on the touchscreen.
3. Recipes cook so much faster. These chicken tenders only took 8 minutes to cook!
4. My husband, who so kindly does the dishes most nights, found the clean up to be pretty easy. You simply remove the basket and give it a little wash either in the sink or the dishwasher.
This is the air fryer I have and I’m very happy with it. It comes with a bigger basket, which I like, as it cooks more food at once. I plan to experiment with some of the other settings and hopefully have other recipes to share soon. So now that I may or may not have sold you on the air fryer, lets talk about these chicken tenders shall we?
These tenders are incredibly easy, making them perfect for busy weeknights. They have a crispy outer layer while the middle is nice and tender. My daughter absolutely loved them and that’s saying a lot since shes very hit or miss when it comes to meat.
The coating is a mixture of almond flour and nutritional yeast, making the chicken paleo and gluten-free. The nutritional yeast adds some flavor while also providing essential B vitamins. Quick and easy, healthy and delicious these “fried” chicken tenders are a winner in my book.
- 1 lb. organic chicken tenders
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 egg
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees
- Whisk the egg in one bowl and add the almond flour and nutritional yeast to another. Mix the flour and yeast together.
- Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper and place into the bowl with the egg to coat. You may need to work with a few pieces at a time.
- Place the chicken from the egg whites and add to the bowl with the flour mixture. Turn until both sides are fully coated.
- Place the tenders inside of the basket and cook for 8 minutes. Remove and serve.