Good morning. Let’s celebrate hump day with this amazingly delicious grain-free banana bread.
I make banana bread almost weekly for my family. It’s become a ritual for my husband and I to sit down with a small slice of banana bread as we sip on our morning cup of coffee. It’s meant to be enjoyed and savored as we relish in the peace and quiet before the kids wake up. Some mornings this is the only breakfast I get as the time gets away from me and things become busier than normal and on those days I’m beyond grateful to have a healthy and delicious bread ready and waiting.
We have our tried and true favorite banana bread recipes but I like to experiment with new recipes on occasion. It’s been a while since I’ve played around in the kitchen to come up with a recipe of my own, especially a gluten-free version for the blog. Dare I say, this may be our favorite and my husband claimed this before realizing it was my creation.
I used a combination of buckwheat flour and almond flour for this recipe. Contrary to its name, Buckwheat flour is not related to wheat at all. In fact, it’s not even a grain, but a seed and high in fiber and protein. Almond flour is hearty, highly nutritious and adds a hint of nutty flavor to the bread. Some grain free breads tend to be soggy after baking and the taste can be a bit eggy (for lack of better word). That’s not the case with this recipe. Here we have a perfect crumb on the outside with a soft and tender middle.
This banana bread is perfectly sweet thanks to the ripe bananas and the maple syrup. I like to spread a touch of almond butter over top, although any nut, seed, or grass fed butter will work, should you choose to add something. Not only is it healthy and delicious but its free of gluten, grains, dairy and refined sugar. (Insert all the praise hand emoji’s here).
- 1¼ Cups Buckwheat flour
- ¾ cups Almond Flour
- ¼ cup flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 5 x 9" loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour mix, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- In another bowl, stir together the eggs, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Add the mashed banana and whisk until everything is combined well.
- Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time to the wet ingredients, stirring as you go. Mix until a batter forms.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. Bake until the banana bread is browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes, before removing from the pan. Continue to cool on a wire rack.