If there’s one thing I’ve learned and experienced over the past year it’s that food can be used to heal the body. Nutrition is a natural protector and one of the best ways to change or prevent different illnesses. What we put into our bodies plays a huge roll in our lives and understanding and knowing what some of these foods are is beneficial to living a healthy lifestyle.
This is a topic I’ve become extremely passionate about and I want to share some of the information I’ve learned and continue to learn with all of you. Each month I’m going to be putting up a blog post with an emphasis on a particular food used for healing the body. Most of the foods are seasonal, in which case I will be featuring them in the month in which they are at peak.
For January the focus is on citrus fruits, such as oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, limes and lemons. Let’s take a look at a few health benefits citrus fruits play in our diet.
1. Citrus fruits are an excellent source of vitamin C, a nutrient that strengthens the immune system and keeps your skin smooth and elastic. These fruits also contain good amounts of B vitamins, potassium, phosphorous, and magnesium.
2. They’re a good source of fiber, particularly soluble fiber, which helps to lower cholesterol levels.
3. Citrus fruits are a smart choice for people looking to lose or maintain their weight since they’re low in calories.
4. Citrus fruits contain a host of plant compounds, including flavonoids, that may help protect against cancer. Additionally, the flavonoids may help boost brain function and protect the brain from neurodegenerative disorders.
5. Many compounds in citrus fruits can benefit heart health by improving cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure.
Now lets not confuse whole citrus fruits with fruit juices. Juices are less nutrient dense and contain high amounts of sugar so keep this in mind when your looking to add more citrus to your diet. Citrus fruits are an excellent way to brighten up your meals on cold winter days. Below I’ve included a roundup of recipes from other bloggers to give you inspiration for adding this health food into your meals.
Taste & See
The Gourmet RD
Rabbit Food Runner
Your Choice Nutrition
Tasty Balance Nutrition
Queen of My Kitchen
Queen of My Kitchen