Each month I’m talking about a food that is healing to the body, and for February it’s all about broccoli. You can read more about this in my post for January. Broccoli is available year around but it’s best when it’s at peak season, which is October-April. Broccoli’s said to pack the most nutritional punch of any vegetable with its unique mixture of vitamins and minerals. These include significant amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, folate, potassium, selenium, vitamin A, manganese, vitamin B6, and phosphorus. Broccoli is a rich source of phytonutrient glucosinolates (aids in preventing the development and growth of cancer) flavonoids, and other antioxidant compounds that boost our health in a major way!
Now that we know broccoli is a nutrition powerhouse lets take a look at additional ways its beneficial to us and our bodies.
1. As I mentioned above it aids in treating cancer
2. It’s a very good detoxifier in removing toxins and free radicals from the body
3. Broccoli is rich in both iron and protein making it an excellent remedy against anemia.
4. It provides relief from some stomach disorders
5. It helps to maintain a healthy heart
6. Strengthens the immune system
Below I’ve included a roundup of recipes from other food bloggers showcasing broccoli as one of the main ingredients. Hopefully you can find inspiration in one or more of these dishes to get more of this nutrient rich food into your diet.
Eat Real Live Well
Your Choice Nutrition
One Hungry Bunny
Tasty Balance Nutrition
And a Dash of Cinnamon
Making Healthy Choices