Today we’re talking about incredibly delicious and highly addicting BBQ roasted chickpeas.
I love the taste of chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo beans) plain as they are so imagine my excitement when I first tried them spiced with BBQ seasoning and roasted. SO MUCH FLAVORFUL GOODNESS.
The secret to getting chickpeas crispy is to dry them really really well. Use a paper towel or dried cloth for patting and if time allows you can even let them air dry a bit. The end goal is a golden brown exterior with a soft and tender middle.
The BBQ seasoning I used is homemade using spices you probably already have on hand. It gives the chickpeas a slightly sweet and smokey flavor, and more or less what makes them oh so addicting. Store any leftover seasoning in a sealed glass jar and use the leftovers as a dry rub for burgers, meat or another batch (or two) of roasted chickpeas.
Roasted chickpeas are so easy to make. Few ingredients are needed and you can switch up the seasoning for a variety of different flavors. Eat them plain as a snack or added to salads for extra protein and a little crunch.
- BBQ Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Roasted Chickpeas
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons BBQ seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and Drain the chickpeas. Using a paper towel, dry the chickpeas thoroughly. The should be dry to the touch.
- Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. They are done when golden brown and crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with the BBQ seasoning and evenly coat. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.