We’re kicking off May by continuing with my series on foods that can heal the body and bolster good gut health. If your unfamiliar with what this is you can read more about it here.This month we’re focusing on all the berries, whether it’s blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries. Fresh berries can easily be found in farmer’s markets across the country, however, the late spring and summer months are typically when they’re best.
It’s no surprise that berries are good for us and there are several different components that make them a nutritious powerhouse. I’ve listed some of the most important ones below.
- Berries are loaded with antioxidants
- Berries may improve your blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Berries are a good source of fiber, including soluble fiber. Studies have shown that consuming soluble fiber slows down the movement of food through your digestive tract, leading to reduced hunger and increased feelings of fullness.
- Berries are low in calories and extremely nutritious. In addition to being high in antioxidants, they’re also rich in several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C and manganese.
- Berries may help reduce inflammation and decrease the risk of heart disease and other health problems.
- Berries are a heart-healthy food, which can help lower cholesterol levels.
- The antioxidants in berries may help protect against cancer.
- They’re good for your skin, reducing wrinkles and skin damage from free radicals and may block the production of enzymes that break down collagen.
Berries are widely available in fresh and frozen forms. There’s a variety of ways to incorporate berries into recipes, as you will see below, but they’re just as delicious on their own.
Blueberry Pie Kefir Smoothie: Judy Matusky
Oven Dried Blueberry Fruit Leather: Feed Them Wisely
Wild Blueberry Sweet Potato Wheat Bread: Bucket List Tummy
Summer Strawberry Chicken Salad with Honey Lime Yogurt Dressing: Bucket List Tummy
Wild Blueberry Peanutty Protein Smoothie: Nutrition Starring You
Strawberry Vanilla Sorghum Parfait: Nutrition Starring You
Grilled Citrus Marinated Chicken with Raspberry Red Wine Sauce: Tasty Balance Nutrition
PB&J Smoothie: Key Ingredients
Berry Rhubarb Mini Cheesecake Bites: One Hungry Bunny
Healthy Lemonade with Berries and Lavender: One Hungry Bunny
Raspberry Basil Sorbet : Rabbit Food Runner
Strawberry Chicken Pecan Salad: Queen of Kitchen
Skillet Blackberry Bread Pudding: Your Choice Nutrition
Cream Cheese Earl Grey Ebelskivers with Blueberries: Alison’s Allspice
5 Minute Healthy Strawberry Sauce: Nourish
Red Cabbage, Snap Pea, & Blueberry Salad: Jessica Levinson
Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait: Queen of My Kitchen
Strawberry Chocolate Oat Bars: Eat Real Live Well
Garbanzo Berry Cupcakes: Eat Real Live Well
Very Berry Tiny Trifles: Nutrition Nuptials
Flourless Fruit Crumble: Key Ingredients
Wild Blueberry Whoopie Pies: Sinful Nutrition
Strawberry Avocado Farro Salad: Lively Table
No Added Sugar Blueberry Muffin Pancakes: Lively Table
Fresh Blueberry Salsa: Real You Nutrition
Berry Coconut Granola : Casey The College Celiac
Healthy Strawberry Jam: Key Ingredients