One of my best friends loves cooking as much as I do so we are always trying out new recipes and sharing them with each other. She recently shared this recipe with me for Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup and included a few modifications that she had made. I included some of her changes and added a few of my own to come up with this thick and creamy soup.
If you order this soup in a restaurant it is usually loaded with fat and calories but by using very little butter, skim milk, and less cheese this is a much healthier version. Per Emily’s suggestion I also added in more broccoli than the original recipe called for to give it an extra veggie kick. This cheesy soup is full of flavor leaving you feeling warm and cozy.
Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup
– 5 cups chopped broccoli
– 1 cup chopped onions
– 1/2 cup chopped carrots
– 2 cloves garlic
– 3 cups chopped red potatoes
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 3 cups skim milk
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar 2% shredded cheese
– 1 1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1/2 teaspoon pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
– 1/4 teaspoon paprika
– salt to taste
– In a large pot saute onions, carrots, and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender.
– Add in the flour, pepper, salt, paprika and basil until smooth
– Add broth, milk, butter, broccoli and potatoes stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
– Reduce heat; cover and simmer until broccoli and potatoes are tender (20-30 minutes)
– Stir in cheese and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
* Optional: Top each bowl with extra cheese*