Our basil plant is doing unbelievably well still and I can’t stand the thought of not using up every last bit of it before it goes bad. I have been racking my brain trying to think of every possible way I can use it up before I start making batches of homemade pesto sauce to freeze. The other night I was having a few girlfriends over and I came up with this sun-dried tomato and basil cheese ball. Since you simply cannot go wrong with the combination of tomatoes and basil, and anything that involves cheese is usually a good thing, I figured I could not go wrong with this recipe. I loved the way it turned out and we were smearing the leftovers on everything from crackers to omelets. My husband came up with the genius idea of adding it to his eggs and oh my was it ever good. We clearly were not about to let any of this go to waste.
This is the perfect make ahead appetizer that is easy to put together, saving you the stress of last-minute preparations. It’s a beautiful and festive dish that would be perfect for the holidays.
If you don’t have fresh basil on hand you can substitute 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons of dried basil but I would definitely try using fresh if it’s available. Serve with crackers, toasted baguette or veggie slices.
- 8oz.low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped,
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped (save ¼ cup for topping)
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, ¼ cup basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl, mixing well. Save the chopped pecans and ¼ cup of basil for the topping.
- Form into a ball and place in fridge to chill (at least 3 hours).
- Before serving, roll the cheese ball in the pecans and extra basil.
- Serve with crackers, toasted baguette or vegetables.