I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve cooked lunch for my family. By cooking I mean getting out the pots and pans and turning on the stove. For us lunch is throwing together a sandwich or a salad or reheating leftovers from the fridge. This past Sunday however I decided to change that by making this frittata for us to enjoy on our back patio. It was the perfect meal to make because it’s simple, healthy and a great way to use up some of our fresh and seasonal produce.
A frittata, is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche. The beautiful thing about frittatas are the endless possibilities of ingredients that can be used. This time of year I find myself making weekly trips to the farmers market and ending up with lots of fresh produce begging to be used. A frittata is the perfect remedy for preventing them from going to waste. The cheeses, veggies, and meats can easily be changed out so have some fun when it comes to making this meal.
A cast iron or oven safe skillet is needed for this frittata to come together. For an easier cleanup I put the bacon in a 400 degree oven instead of frying it. Simply put the bacon on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake for 15-18 minutes. I loved the combination of the corn, bacon and feta used here. The fresh basil from our garden was added to the top putting a nice finishing touch to the dish. This is a super simple and easy one pot meal that can be eaten any time of the day.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ cups fresh corn kernels (2-3 ears)
- ⅓ cup diced onions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup milk (I used Almond)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 3-4 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Pre-heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, moving around to coat the bottom. Add corn and onion to pan. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Place corn mixture in a bowl and add in the chopped bacon.
- Place milk, eggs, salt, pepper and paprika to a bowl, Stir with a whisk until well combined. Add corn mixture into egg mixture, stirring to combine.
- Preheat broiler to high
- In the meantime. return pan to medium-high heat. Add butter to pan, swirl until butter melts. Add egg mixture to pan. Cook 1 minute, without stirring. Cover and reduce heat to low, and cook 5-7 minutes or until eggs are set and beginning to brown on the bottom. Sprinkle feta evenly over the eggs. Place the pan into the oven and broil 1 minute or until eggs are set and cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil