Peach Pie With Quinoa-Almond Crust
Quinoa-Almond Crust adapted from Cooking Light Magazine April 2015 issue
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 Cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup almond milk (low-fat milk will work too)
- 6 oz. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Almond Flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups fresh peaches, sliced (3 peaches)
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spread quinoa and almond flour evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating pan after 5 minutes. Cool completely on pan. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor; process 1½ minutes or until almost finely ground, scraping bowl after 1 minute. Add brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt; pulse to combine. Add egg; pulse 3 to 4 times or until mixture begins to clump (mixture will be moist). Lightly press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch greased pie pan (lightly coat hands with cooking spray if mixture sticks to skin). Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating the pan after 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees.
- To prepare the filling mix sugar, milk, yogurt, eggs, flour, cornstarch, almond extract and salt in a bowl, whisking till smooth.
- Arrange peaches on top of the crust and pour filling on top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove Pie from the oven and sprinkle the chopped almonds over top. Cover with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 45 minutes or till filling has set.
- Allow to cool. Serve warm or refrigerate till cold