Today I’m helping to make the internet a little bit sweeter by participating in the 5th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. This tasty swap party brings bloggers from around the world together for a secret Santa style cookie swap. The basis is to sign up then you will be matched with three other food bloggers who you will be sending a dozen cookies to. In return you will receive cookies from three other bloggers as well. The money raised goes to Cookies For Kids’ Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease. Seriously, what could be better than receiving cookies in the mail and meeting new bloggers all while supporting a wonderful cause?
For my contribution to the cookie swap I made a few dozen of these Vanilla Buttercream Walnut Cookies. Crunchy walnut cookies are layered with a sweet and creamy buttercream filling to create a rich and decadent treat. The walnut cookies can be made with or without the buttercream but if you’re looking for something deliciously sweet then the creamy filling is a must. The recipients for my cookies were Amber at Loves Food, Loves To Eat, Jessica at Golden Brown and Delicious, and Kristen at Bourbon and Honey. In return I received three dozen delicious cookies from three different bloggers starting with Sand Tarts from Life, Love, and Good Food. A few days later I got a delivery for Peppermint Crunch Cookies from Join Us, Pull Up A Chair followed by Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread Cookies from A Happy Food Dance.
A full roundup of all the cookie recipes from 475 other bloggers will be going live this weekend thanks to the hostesses of this fun party, Lindsay at Love and Olive Oil and Julie at The Little Kitchen. Those of you interested in joining in on the fun next year you can go to this link for more details.
- Walnut Cookies
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- Vanilla Buttercream
- 3 sticks butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup granulated sugar, butter and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt. Beat at low speed until soft dough forms. Stir in walnuts.
- Shape dough into 1- inch balls. Place balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten balls using the back of a fork in a crisscross pattern. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter on medium-high speed until creamy. (About 2 minutes). Reduce speed to medium and add in the confectioners sugar, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add in the vanilla and mix until smooth. Spread about a tablespoon of the buttercream on bottom half of cookie. Gently press the bottom of another cookie against the filling to form a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Recipe Yields: 1 ½ dozen cookies