The crock pot is wonderful any day of the week but I’ve recently declared Monday nights to be a designated crock pot night for our family. Scottie has soccer practice then so by the time we get home it’s dinnertime and we are all hungry and ready to eat. Thanks to the help from one of my favorite kitchen appliances I’m able to prevent any of us from getting hangry by having dinner ready and waiting as soon as we walk in the door.
This Mexican inspired dish could not be easier to make . It requires only THREE(!) ingredients and the miracle worker of the slow cooker to get these delicious tacos onto your table. Chicken Verde is a great crock pot recipe to have on hand as the days are getting warmer and many of us don’t want to sit down to a hearty bowl of soup or stew, which is usually what comes to mind when I think of crock pot recipes.
Chicken Verde can be used in different ways such as a topping to a bowl of rice or salad or wrapped up inside of a tortilla or lettuce leaf and eaten as a taco. I chose to keep the toppings simple by just adding slaw but feel free to customize them to your preference. Maybe add some sliced avocado, red onion or jalapeno peppers to give it a little kick.
- 1½ - 2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 16 oz. jar salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Flour Tortilla shells (I like the La Tortilla Factory whole grain low carb)
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (light)
- Add the chicken breast to the crock pot bowl and add the salsa verde and cumin over top.
- Cover and cook 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Once the chicken is done it will easily shred with a fork. Shred the chicken in the crock pot, mix well with all the juices. Using a slotted spoon, scoop up the chicken and serve inside warmed flour tortillas.
- For the slaw:
- Mix the purple cabbage and mayonnaise together in a medium sized bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the slaw side of the tortillas with the chicken.