Hey friends. I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend so far.I know I don’t usually post on the weekends but I wanted to pop in and share this months recipe redux post. The timing of this months theme could not have come at a better time.
Good Gut Health
With cold and flu season upon us, the best defense may be good gut health. Since much of our immune health begins in the gut, show us your healthy, delicious recipe to bolster gut health.
The timing for this months theme is ironic since I’m knee deep right now learning and understanding all about good gut health. Between the culinary nutrition program and my own personal health issues I’m realizing how important this topic is when it comes to our overall health, not only physically but mentally as well. Our GI system has a major effect on our entire body, from mood, to memory, and more. A healthy gut allows the body to build a stronger immune system and produce the right kind of bacteria that tells our brain that it’s okay to feel good again.
With all that said let’s get to the fun part and talk about this incredibly delicious miso soup. It’s vegan and gluten-free, since I used 100% buckwheat Soba noodles, and full of healthy ingredients that your belly and your taste buds will love.
Miso is a fermented paste rich in probiotics meaning it can help treat intestinal disorders. It will crowd out the unhealthy bacteria, improve the absorption of minerals, and improve overall health. Aside from being a good source of protein and fiber, it also adds a bold flavor to dishes. The broccoli and cabbage pack in essential vitamins and minerals while they also help to reduce inflammation and remove harmful pathogens from the GI tract. Garlic is a wonderful prebiotic meaning it helps to feed and fuel the existing flora already present in your gut.
This healing soup is just what your body needs to get your gut health back on track or you simply want to ward off any unwanted illnesses.
- 4 oz Soba (Buckwheat noodles)
- 1½ tablespoons miso paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 large carrot, made into ribbons
- Chili flakes to garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles according to the package directions. Set aside
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger till softened. Add in the tamari , 4 cups of water and miso paste. Mix until fully combined. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes
- Add in the remaining vegetables. Cook, allowing the veggies to soften another 5 minutes or so. Refresh the noodles with cold water. Add to the soup and serve. Top with chili flakes (optional)